Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I had to sack someone today.

Sacking someone really makes you think about how we treat others and how we would like to be treated. This incident was not actually an employee of mine, but a company that supplies a service to our company. I have spent a long time deliberating how I would do this, and formally I had written a letter to him stating that we no longer wanted to use their services, but it really hit me in the middle of the night, while I was ruminating on it that, I would really not like to just receive a letter dismissing me after 12yrs service, so I plucked up lots of courage and rang him. Understandably he was really upset, he didn't hit the angry phase on the phone, but I can imagine that it will come at a later date. I tried to keep it as neutral as possible and explain the situation but it was hard. Oh well I suppose it's all part of the learning experience on the road to becoming a more assertive person. I think assertiveness comes with age, because after a while, you just have the experience and knowledge of how to deal with multiple scenarios and also it's a time issue, after a while you have to get the job done so you can't spend time waffling around being nice to people and protecting their feelings, but it's a hard balance.

What else happened in my world today? I caught the cat deciding that she really needed to sit under an apple tree while the birds were trying to have breakfast. Little rat! You'd think that we never feed her the way she carry's on.

Some friends from California came over today, and it was really great to see them, although I didn't get much of a chance to chat to my good friend C. C is always so supportive of me and all that I do, but really good fun as well.

The sun is just starting to fade here, and there is a lovely dappled twilight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.